Info for Out-of-Town Guests
You will find here a collection if information for all of our guests traveling here from out-of-town. Perhaps even some useful info for locals too! I have assembled details on the accomodations we have arranged at a local condo resort as well as some suggestions for dining %amp; entertainment while you are in town.
We have worked out a great deal at a condo resort just about 8 miles from the wedding venue. It is the closest we can get to the desert locale of the wedding venue, other than the Four Seasons next door at $300+/night! It is a great North Scottsdale location near many restaurants, shopping, etc. and is situated on the famous TPC of Scottsdale golf course with a nice pool. These are all condos so you will have your own living room & kitchen, so it will be like a "home away from home" at the fraction of the cost of all the hotels in the area. The website is www.scottsdalelinks.com so feel free to check it out for further information.
Discover Scottsdale's newest premier golf resort, Scottsdale Links Resort. Nestled between the TPC Desert Golf Course and the beautiful McDowell Mountains in prestigious North Scottsdale. Scottsdale Links Resort showcases 228 elegantly appointed all suite accommodations, providing guests with the ultimate in convenience and luxury.
Guests enjoy elegantly furnished oversized suites, each with its own separate living room and dining room featuring fabulous mountain or golf course views. Each lavishly decorated one, two and three bedroom suite surpasses even the most discriminating traveler's expectations with fully equipped kitchens, full-size washers and dryers and private patios.
The booking contact for our special wedding accomodations is Julie Jensen, and she can be reached at 702-804-8627. Make sure to mention the Petersen/Thurston wedding when calling Julie. Room options and pricing are as follows:
- 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom: $105.00
- 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom (including master suite): $145.00
- 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom (including master suite): $185.00
All guests will receive a special 2 nights for price of 1 rate! So a 2 night stay will only cost you one night and 3 or 4 night stay will only cost you 2 nights. Prices are subject to 11.92% tax. For example, a two bedroom condo will only cost $162 TOTAL for 2 nights booked or $324 TOTAL for 3 or 4 nights booked.
*** View directions from the resort to the wedding on MapQuest ***
If you want to shoot me an email after booking to let me know your arrival, departure, and which size condo you reserved, I can contact the resort in the weeks before the wedding a try to get people as close together as possible.
Local Dining Ideas
There are a world of culinary possiblities in North Scottsdale, many in close proximity to the condo complex. To see more information, check these sites out:
A few of Kimberly & Derek's favorites (some may be a bit further from the condos):
- Sakana - The OFFICIAL site of our first date, this remains one of our two favorite sushi restaurants in Arizona. They have an amazing spicy scallop roll, a very tasty Boston roll (California roll with delicious spicy tuna on top), and the best miso soup in town. See where it all began, including Kimberly's embarkment on a culinary awakening! (Go ahead, ask us about it... we love us some great food and the Food Network!)
- Blue Wasabi - Our other favorite sushi destination. This one draws us for slightly different reasons - stylish ambiance and great martinis! They have exquisite martinis, with many creative recipes and all the classics well executed. Their sushi is a little more unique, with signatures such as the Krusty Krab roll and the Me Soy Horny Roll. The Hilton Village location (6137 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale AZ 85250 · 480-315-9800) is the nicest, with more seating available. The DC Ranch location (20715 N Pima Rd, Scottsdale AZ 85255 · 480-538-5161) is stylish, but small. Great happy hour Tue - Sat 4:30 to 6:00 pm, select items are half price!
- Dooby's Mediterranean Grill - The site of many, many subsequent dates and the Meet the Parents I event. This is by far our favorite Mediterranean food in Phoenix. The lentil soup is to die for, best chicken schwarma we have ever tasted (try it on a rice salad or mediterranean salad), tasty kafta, and great Middle East desserts. They even have belly dancing on Friday and Saturday nights to entertain the guests.
- Los Sombreros - Absolutely fantastic Mexican food, located just south of Old Town Scottsdale. After Derek's special recipe, this is the best guacamole in town, served piled high in a stone bowl. Try their fish tacos, crab enchiladas, or lamb adobo... with a good margarita as all Mexican food should be enjoyed. Dine on their charming back patio for the best atmosphere. A little further from the condos than most options, but well worth the drive.
- Z'Tejas - A small chain of Southwestern cuisine restaurants based in the southwest, expect to find some unique twists on Mexican and other southwest specialties. Try our favorite dish, the Parmesan Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad with spinach, goat cheese and warm bacon dressing. The Paradise Village Gateway location (10625 N Tatum Blvd, Phoenix AZ 85254 · 480-948-9010) is right by our place & closest to the condos. Or venture to Scottsdale Fashion Square location and enjoy a margarita on the patio accompanied by great people watching and the true Scottsdale shopping experience.
- Chipotle - Our favorite quick and easy bite to eat. Serving up tacos, burritos, and salads with only naturally raised meats, free of antibiotics and added
growth hormones, fed a vegetarian diet and humanely raised. Freshly made, high quality, and absolutely delicious. Several locations scattered throughout the area, all mapped for you. If you haven't had it before, don't miss the chance to try this great restaurant in September.
- Cafe Carumba - Our favorite location for brunch, this cozy restaurant spins traditional Southwest American cuisine around and shakes it out with the vibrant flavors & textures from Latin America. We love a relaxing weekend morning on the patio, sipping coffee and eating home made corned beef hash or migas (scrambled eggs & chorizo). Lunch and dinner features a nice selection of sandwiches, salads, and burgers. Don't miss the $9,999 margarita for 2!
- Houston's - Another small chain with locations scattered across major cities in the US, this restaurant has some excellent dishes. Try Kimberly's frequent craving - Sashimi Tuna Salad with cilantro-ginger vinaigrette, avocado and mango. The steaks are great as well. This location is also in the Hilton Villiage shopping plaza, same as Blue Wasabi. Just a bit further south, in Old Town Scottsdale, you can find their sister restaurant, Bandera. Bandera has a cozy dark atmosphere and features a fantastic wood-fired rotisserie. The Seared & Sliced Filet is amazing, a whole tenderloin cooked at high temperature and sliced off to serve - delicious! A great stop after an afternoon of shopping in Old Town.
- Bloom - Specializing in New American Cuisine with a seasonally changing menu. Featuring classic American favorites with influences from European and Asian cuisines, the menu at Bloom showcases the freshest, most delicious ingredients resulting in something for every palate. We have always found something tantalizing on their menu. This is where we will have our rehearsal champagne brunch, but it is well worth visiting again to try their dinner menu.
- Chop & Wok - A great little Chinese place, and I do mean LITTLE. Adjoined to a cozy bar with a semi-outdoor seating area in between. They have some great Chinese food for those in the mood.
Or pop the condo address into Google Maps and search for any type of restaurant you are craving. Be sure to tell us if you find something new and amazing, as we haven't gotten to nearly all the great places around!
Phoenix & Arizona Attractions
For those new to the desert, don't be discouraged by all the sand and drab brown color. Arizona is actually a very vibrant region. Some suggestions to experience a bit of what the area has to offer:
- The Grand Canyon - I don't think I need to say much about this natural wonder. It is about a 4 hour drive from Phoenix for those wanting to make a little more than a weekend of the trip.
- Desert Botanical Gardens - A fantastic display of all the various flora and fauna in the Sonoran Desert. Derek and his mother spent three hours wandering the garden, learning about all sorts of neat plants, and really enjoying the experience. The Mariposa Monarca Monarch Butterfly Exhibit opens for its fifth season on Sep 27th. Enjoy a glass of wine at the Patio Cafe and shop for a cactus at the Garden Shop.
- Phoenix Zoo - While not world famous like San Diego's zoo, we do have a pretty good set up here. Located in Papago Park right next to the Desert Botanical Gardens.
- Phoenix Area Hiking - Explore the many options available to hikers of all skill levels. Adventurous climbers ready for a wicked climb are invited to join us for our Camelback Mountain hike (see Calendar of Events for details). A low impact option is Pinnacle Peak in the backdrop of the wedding location. Conquer the "Seven Summits" of Phoenix to see the best of all the area hiking options.
- Arizona Life's Guide to Recreation - An extensive listing of entertainment options in a number of different categories.
- Arizona Tours, Activities & Adventures on WorldWeb.com - An extensive listing of entertainment options in a number of different categories.
I guess some people consider shopping an activity for entertainment? If that is you, Scottsdale is a great location to visit. Experience a few different types of shopping at the following locations:
- Kierland Commons - Located just 2 miles from the condos, this destination is a beautifully designed outdoor shopping mall. This destination boasts an interesting variety of shops, including White House | Black Market, Sur la Table, Coach, Crate & Barrel and many unique boutiques, as well as and restaurants like Ocean Club, Morton's Steakhouse, and Bar NoRTH. The discerning shopper, or just curious visitor, will find plenty to entertain them at Kierland Commons.
- Scottsdale Fashion Square - The Place to see and be seen. This is the premier shopping mall in the area and home to most of the trendy shops around, including Tiffany's, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Neiman Marcus. This is a great place for people watching! Don't let it sound intimidating, as anyone can feel comfortable shopping there (this coming from a guy). Stop for lunch on the patio at Z'Tejas (mentioned above) or Kona Grill and be entertained by the passers by and valet parking scene.
- Old Town Scottsdale - Downtown Scottsdale offers some of the finest galleries, specialty retail, cultural attractions and dining in the Valley of the Sun. Downtown Scottsdale is at the heart of the city's art scene, with a high concentration of galleries showcasing some of the best Western and Southwestern art in the country. Throughout "Old Town", shopkeepers sell quality Native American crafts, offering everything from hand-woven Navajo rugs to Zuni silver jewelry. Spend an afternoon here and grab lunch or dinner at Bandera, Los Sombreros, or Cafe Carumba mentioned above.
We hope you have a fantastic experience while visiting Phoenix and celebrating our wedding this fall. Please contact us if you have any questions or want additional recommendations on dining and activities ideas.